Monday, November 16, 2009

Rock Cakes


I love rock cakes. Growing up, I remember my Mum, who was a great cook, making these in the kitchen - usually after endless begging from me! She used to make lots of delicious things but her rock cakes are what really remind me of the time I lived with her as a child. They're also the only thing I remember making with her and my first experience with cooking.

So when I had some medium eggs in the refrigerator to use up the other day, already a day or so past date actually, I thought it would be nice to make these. Quick and simple, I didn't feel like being in the kitchen for hours.  I made them with golden raisins (sultanas) as that's all I had in the cupboard and I put a little jam in some of them, just like Mum :D

They kept nice wrapped in plastic wrap on the counter for a couple of days. And, because they weren't overly sweet, I didn't feel bad about eating them for breakfast. Unfortunately, Stephen doesn't like raisins so he couldn't have any. I must have forgot! :b

Yesterday was a nice day. We went to church in the morning and while we were there our Pastor invited us over to his house for lunch with Jessica and Nevaeh (Jessica is Stephen's cousin and Nevaeh is her 8 year old little girl). We had a good time catching up with them.

It's so nice that Willow is finally at an age where she behaves at people's houses during meal times. I used to dread taking her so much as a baby that I had to decline lots of invitations or try to get a babysitter last minute.  It wasn't that she was a particularly bad baby, she wasn't at all. She was just a baby and at an age where you can't really relax and eat and enjoy company because she would want to get off my lap and go and grab at delicate ornaments.

But now my big girl is almost 3 and sat down to eat her meal at the children's table nice and quietly without too much mess. She did run around a little but she couldn't resist Pastor's cute chubby beagle called Bently who she kept calling Roxy for some reason. At one point she locked him in the bathroom and by the time I realized she was dangerously quiet and went to look around for her, she had given him a soap bath!! Funny. They also have a beautiful black cat. Willow loves cats even more but couldn't keep up with him enough to terrorize him.

In the evening we went to Stephen's Mom's to discuss the thanksgiving menu and who's going to be bringing what. My list includes: cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, roasted root vegetables, cider, and peanut butter pie. And I've been told (beaten over the head with) I can't be late with the food. 1 o'clock on the dot. Mmph ... you'd think they weren't late EVERY TIME when coming to our house for dinner. We stayed there until around 12, had Chinese and discussed Christmas and what we're doing, then I couldn't keep my eyes open much longer and knudged Stephen time to go. Willow went right to bed when we got home, as did Stephen and I.

That brings me today, which hasn't really started yet even. I've just organized the hallway closet which was getting in a bit of a state. Stuff falling out everywhere. Same with the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I've done two loads of laundry with more to be dried and folded, picked up the usual toys everywhere, and have a big pile of dishes calling me from the sink.

Stephen will be home around 1.45 to watch Willow while I go to my 6th month's check up at the doctors. I'm going to bombard them with questions today that I've been saving up all month. Then I'm going to grab some chicken at the store, come home and make dinner: baked chicken and spanish rice. I've been meaning to make this for weeks but somehow it just keeps getting put off. Will try to get a pic.

1 comment:

Tea said...

The rock cakes look yummy! I had to laugh about your daughter giving the dog a soap bath -Ha! We're still at the stage where my son needs quite a bit of attention during meal times, but it's getting better.

It sounds like you're going to be making some great things for Thanksgiving! I hope you have nice holidays! :)

...Oh and I almost forgot, your daughter's name, Willow, is so pretty!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails