Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Fried AND Baked Chicken

The other day we had chicken with rice for dinner and I thought I'd take some pictures so I could share how I make it. I have been making this chicken for years and love it, it's always tender and juicy. Technically it's my mother in law's recipe but I know I don't make it exactly the same as hers because she never does it the same way twice!

Flatten 1-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts with a meat mallet. Or a heavy can, however you prefer.
Pour some flavored store-bought breadcrumbs in a dish and heavily season (I have made it bland before by not using enough seasoning). I usually use Italian seasoning, seasoning salt, garlic powder, and a little dried tarragon. But mostly whatever I have on hand. Stir to combine.

Wash the chicken breasts but don't dry, just let them drip off. Then roll in the breadcrumbs. I don't bother with dipping in milk or egg first.

Heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. I put enough to coat the bottom of the pan. When hot and sizzly, add the chicken breasts to the skillet. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan or the temperature will go down.

Cook 'till crispy on the bottom and then turn over.

And cook till crispy and golden on the other side. Then remove the chicken to a baking dish.

Pour away most of the grease from the skillet and then stir in some water or stock - about 1-2 cups, depending on how much chicken you made and sometimes I use cooking wine with the stock. Bring to a boil, scraping up the flavor from the bottom of the pan and turn down to reduce a little.

Pour the gravy over the chicken breasts in your baking pan, just don't completely cover them. A few dried bay leaves would go nicely on top too. Then cover the dish with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for at least an hour.

We usually have it with rice and glazed carrots. There's always some leftover too which is great the next day too.

1 comment:

Tracey M. said...

Wow, this sounds good with frying it and then baking it afterward. I will have to try it for my family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails