Monday, September 28, 2009

Baking from Bakewell


Stephen had some leftover kielbasa and rice from yesterday's dinner to take to lunch today. Along with some trail mix and orange slices. He said it hit the spot :)

I've been busy tidying the house today, every room is an absolute mess. This ball pit Willow has is driving me crazy. No sooner do I put all the balls back in it then they're out and all around the house again ::siiiigh:: she does like playing in it though, so it's worth it.

I made a Bakewell tart yesterday. Just wanted to try out a recipe because there's an international luncheon coming up at church and I'd like to make some nice traditional English foods. Not ones I haven't made before! It turned out very nice. As you can see in the pic, I was quite generous with the jam. Next time I would use a little less but either way would be fine, depends on your tastes. I would also like to try it without the icing and have it with nice hot English custard some time. That would be yummy!



Recipe
Short crust pastry or puff pastry-lined pie dish
Filling:
100 gm [5 Tbsp] raspberry or strawberry jam (I used a mixture of both)
3 medium eggs (room temp)
115 gm [1/2 cup] caster sugar
115 gm [scant 1/2 cup] unsalted butter - melted (I used salted)
115 gm [1 cup + 2 Tbsp] ground almonds (I used half self-rising flour)
25 gm icing sugar, mixed with a little water (optional)

1.Beat the eggs with the sugar. I added 1 tsp pure almond extract.
2.Fold in the melted (cooled) butter and ground almond/flour slowly.
3.Spread the jam over the crust - approx 4 tbsp.
4.Pour mixture carefully over the jam.
5.Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
6.(Optional) Pour the icing in the centre of the tart and using a palette knife spread as thinly as possible.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails